LEGO® Derby Racing Rules
by Joe Gargiulo, Pinewood Pro
Presented below are the LEGO Derby Rules for racing cars built with LEGO parts down a pinewood derby track. These rules are designed to encourage creativity and experimentation.
- No weight limit
LEGO Derby Car Dimensions
- Max Height: 4.5"
- Max Width: 3"
- Max Length: 10"
- The car must have 3/8" clearance underneath so it does not rub on the track center guide rail.
LEGO Derby Axles and Wheels
- PRO Brick Wheel Assembly or Mini Brick Wheel Assembly must be used to get precise wheel spacing.
- All four wheels do not need to be in contact with the track; however, each car must have four wheels.
- Wheels and Axles may be lubricated before the race but lubrication cannot be reapplied during the race or between heats. Excessive powder must be removed before racing.
- IMPORTANT! Keep lubricant AWAY from the LEGO parts! If any lubrication gets on the LEGO parts, they will separate very easily. You might want to consider gluing the critical LEGO parts together after you are happy with your car design.
Car Modifications Not Allowed
- Wheel bearings, washers or bushings are prohibited.
- The car must not ride on any type of springs.
- So called "cheater bars" at the front of the car to give an unfair starting advantage are prohibited.
- No starting or propulsion devices.
- The car must be freewheeling.
Other LEGO Derby / Mini-Brick Derby Race Rules
- Each car must pass inspection by the official inspection committee before it will be allowed to compete.
- Any other modifications not expressly forbidden by any of the rules above, are allowed, subject to final decision by a race official.
- The Inspection Committee may disqualify any car that does not meet these specifications.
- If pieces fall of the car, (common in LEGO Derby car races!), the racer will have 2 minutes to put pieces back on the car.
- No additional pieces may be added when the car is repaired.
Because LEGO Derby Car racing is new, I encourage your questions, comments and feedback. Please call or e-mail.
Want to run a LEGO Derby Race?
Read our new guide:
How to run a LEGO Derby Car Race
LEGO derby cars on Pinewood Derby track
Call Pinewood Pro 203-400-3713 to discuss building and racing cars built with LEGO parts, race awards and race rules.
LEGO is a trademark of the LEGO Group, which does not authorize, sponsor or endorse this site in any way.
Share with Friends!
Tips & Hints
If you have a bad wheel and you don't have time to replace it, Raise that Wheel so it doesn't touch the track. Since it doesn't touch the track, it won't have any negative affect on your car's speed.
Nyoil stays on your axles throughout the race, unlike powdered graphite that blows off every time your car goes down the track. This gives Nyoil coated axles a speed advantage if your car keeps racing.
Be sure any decorative parts are super glued into place! If you lose a piece off your car it will affect the weight of the car, resulting in loss of inertia, decreasing your speed.
- Helping Pinewood Derby Racers
...for over 15 years.
My son won the entire event, even against the older scouts. Thanks
We placed an amazing 2nd out of 28 cars. We only lost to first place by half an inch. Our car ran consistently all night. We won 2nd place overall! You will be our first stop next year!
Thank you for the great service. I will be coming back to purchase fo my grandson's pinewood derby. Thanks again, it's been great doing business with Pinewood Pro. Blessings to you and your staff.
- Jim from IL
I ordered a set of your BSA wheels and axels last minute on Wednesday for overnight delivery. Our race was on Friday. We finished in 6th out of 80 cars, and will be going to the Divisional Race! My son was never happier! Thanks again!
- Steve from KY
- FREE Derby Help
- Designing Your Car
- Building Your Car
- Making Your Car Fast
- Finishing Touches
- LEGO Derby Car Racing
- Race Track
- Pinewood Pro...
Thank you for the tips in your Winning Secrets book. Out of 116 cars in our AWANA Grand Prix, my boys came in first in their divisions and 1st and 3rd overall. They were thrilled!
Pinewood Pro gets 'er done cuz we finished No.#1, thanks Joe!!!
- Bruce from WA
I can't even put into words how excited, proud and happy my daughter was each time her car won. Worth every penny, plus more. Thank you SO MUCH Pinwood Pro!
- Nina from PA
As soon as he got home, he ran up stairs to his room to put his trophy of his shelf. I will defiantly be buying from you. Thanks for the Winning Secrets!
- Phil from NV