Pinewood Pro is the proud sponsor of the Pinewood Derby Museum
The only one of its kind in the US
Joe Gargiulo has researched and collected pinewood derby artifacts for well over 10 years. He has visited the original site of the first pinewood derby race in Manhattan Beach, CA, conducted interviews, library research and met with Donn Murphy, the son of the inventor of pinewood derby racing.
He researched what happened after the first pinewood derby race to understand how this simple idea of racing miniature cars quickly spread across the US and then became a world-wide phenomenon that is still going strong 60 years later.
Best of all, YOU can be part of the Museum!
The Pinewood Derby Museum Grand Opening was Jan 4, 2015.
Museum is part of the Southwestern CT BSA Heritage Museum located at:
BSA Connecticut Yankee Council Building
60 Wellington Rd.
Open Saturdays 10-2.
I hope to see you there...
What you will see at the pinewood derby museum
The Pinewood Derby Museum features:
- Select pages from Don Murphy's original 1953 PWD plan, complete with his Pack meeting announcement for the first pinewood derby race.
- Pictures, an interview and signed cars from Donn Murphy
- A replica of Donn Murphy's original 1953 car, "The First Racer", signed by Donn Murphy
- Trophies, a ribbon and medal from the 2nd pinewood derby in 1954, when PWD racing spread across the Los Angeles area.
- The 1954 article from Boy's Life that introduced pinewood derby racing to the Boy Scouts of America
- Cool, hot pinewood derby cars, like the Ghost Rider, Scorpion and Hartford Whalers Stanley Cup cars built by adults for Scout Reach fund raiser races.
- A digital display with hundreds of pinewood derby smiling winners, cars, trophies and ribbons
- A digital display featuring "Your Pinewood Derby Story". Be a part of the Museum by submitting your pictures and your pinewood derby story...(see below)
Everyone seems to have an interesting story behind building their car with a parent or grand parent. Or perhaps you won your race, or lost, or crashed, or created a cool car, or had a touching moment with a parent, friend or guardian that you want to share.
Just e-mail us a picture or two with a few lines of text at email@example.com and we will put you in our slide show featuring "Your Pinewood Derby Story".
A Hand Written story by the child is preferred. This gives your child more ownership of their pinewood derby by sharing their personal experience. Let them write whatever they want. Some questions to get them started:
- What was the most fun part of building your car?
- What do remember most about your pinewood derby race?
- Tell me about your car? Did you name it? Why did you choose that design or color scheme?
- What makes your car special
Below are a few of those priceless stories:
Email us pictures and "Your Pinewood Derby Story" today at firstname.lastname@example.org!
Share with Friends!
Tips & Hints
Tungsten Putty is ideal for getting your car up to the maximum 5 oz limit. Drill a hole in the bottom of your car and insert Pinewood Pro Putty as the last step to bring your car to 5.0 oz. If the official scale weighs you in at 5.1 oz, simply remove a small amount of putty to bring it back to 5.0 oz.
Crooked axle slots are perhaps the number one reason cars crash into the lane guides. Drill the axle slot with a drill press or the PRO Driller to be sure your axles go in straight and are square to the block.
BSA Rules are different from Awana Rules, which are different from Adult Race Rules, etc. Check our Pinewood Derby Rules page to download Pinewood Derby rules for different kinds of races.
- Helping Pinewood Derby Racers
...for over 15 years.
We won every race we entered as well as the grand prize for the fastest car! Thanks for your help and interest.
This was our very first time building a Pine Derby car for Awana Club. We won first place in our age class and 3rd place over all the age classes up to high school. Thanks, Pinewood Pro!
My grandson placed won his races! Your speed secrets and products made the difference. To see his smiles get bigger with each win was worth it.
- FREE Derby Help
- Designing Your Car
- Building Your Car
- Making Your Car Fast
- Finishing Touches
- LEGO Derby Car Racing
- Race Track
- Pinewood Pro...
This is our last year of Pinewood Derby. We have shopped with you all 5 years and our son won his Pack 2x, Districts 1x and placed 2nd the other times. Thank you!
- Lloyd from NH
Thank you for the great Pinewood Derby tips! My son was so excited when he got the 1st place trophy!
- Kevin from AZ