Pinewood Pro is the proud sponsor of the Pinewood Derby Museum
The only one of its kind in the US
Joe Gargiulo has researched and collected pinewood derby artifacts for well over 10 years. He has visited the original site of the first pinewood derby race in Manhattan Beach, CA, conducted interviews, library research and met with Donn Murphy, the son of the inventor of pinewood derby racing.
He researched what happened after the first pinewood derby race to understand how this simple idea of racing miniature cars quickly spread across the US and then became a world-wide phenomenon that is still going strong 60 years later.
Best of all, YOU can be part of the Museum!
The Pinewood Derby Museum Grand Opening was Jan 4, 2015.
Museum is part of the Southwestern CT BSA Heritage Museum located at:
BSA Connecticut Yankee Council Building
60 Wellington Rd.
Open Saturdays 10-2.
I hope to see you there...
What you will see at the pinewood derby museum
The Pinewood Derby Museum features:
- Select pages from Don Murphy's original 1953 PWD plan, complete with his Pack meeting announcement for the first pinewood derby race.
- Pictures, an interview and signed cars from Donn Murphy
- A replica of Donn Murphy's original 1953 car, "The First Racer", signed by Donn Murphy
- Trophies, a ribbon and medal from the 2nd pinewood derby in 1954, when PWD racing spread across the Los Angeles area.
- The 1954 article from Boy's Life that introduced pinewood derby racing to the Boy Scouts of America
- Cool, hot pinewood derby cars, like the Ghost Rider, Scorpion and Hartford Whalers Stanley Cup cars built by adults for Scout Reach fund raiser races.
- A digital display with hundreds of pinewood derby smiling winners, cars, trophies and ribbons
- A digital display featuring "Your Pinewood Derby Story". Be a part of the Museum by submitting your pictures and your pinewood derby story...(see below)
Everyone seems to have an interesting story behind building their car with a parent or grand parent. Or perhaps you won your race, or lost, or crashed, or created a cool car, or had a touching moment with a parent, friend or guardian that you want to share.
Just e-mail us a picture or two with a few lines of text at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will put you in our slide show featuring "Your Pinewood Derby Story".
A Hand Written story by the child is preferred. This gives your child more ownership of their pinewood derby by sharing their personal experience. Let them write whatever they want. Some questions to get them started:
- What was the most fun part of building your car?
- What do remember most about your pinewood derby race?
- Tell me about your car? Did you name it? Why did you choose that design or color scheme?
- What makes your car special
Below are a few of those priceless stories:
Email us pictures and "Your Pinewood Derby Story" today at email@example.com!
Share with Friends!
Tips & Hints
Lighter wheels turn easier (they require less inertia). Lighten your wheels, as much as your Rules allow, which will give you a fast start out of the gate and faster speed down the track.
When lubing your wheels and axles, shoot graphite powder into the wheel bore, spin your wheels, and repeat. Do this over newspaper in your garage or outside the house.
A warped block is ok, as long as your axles are square to the block. Use the PRO Driller Tool to drill perfectly straight axle holes which insures your car will roll straight.
- Helping Pinewood Derby Racers
...for over 15 years.
Armed with tips from your Winning Pine Wood Derby Secrets, and graphite powder, Sean's car raced ahead of the wolf pack! Thanks again for you excellent website, materials, and products!
- Mark & Sean
Everything was great! It was my son's first Kubcar race...approx 60 cars, and he took 1st place! He was so excited... Thanks again. Your Winning Pinewood Derby Secrets book really helped!
- Glenn from Toronto
Thank you very much! I've always had very good luck with your products and I will continue to purchase everything I need from you!
- Jenna from AL
- FREE Derby Help
- Designing Your Car
- Building Your Car
- Making Your Car Fast
- Finishing Touches
- LEGO Derby Car Racing
- Race Track
- Pinewood Pro...
Just wanted to say THANK YOU! I received my items. I have used you guys for 3 or 4 years now, ALWAYS fast, great products, I am very happy with you guys. AND we have won AT LEAST our den every year! Cheers!
- Paul from MO
This is year #3 with you and we just keep winning!!! We did the Red thunderbolt and the Black Lightning cars. Thanks for the great products!
- Phil from CA