The PRO Driller™ is a patented mini-drilling jig that gives you four ways to increase the speed of your pinewood derby car.
- Drill perfectly straight axle holes. Straight cars don't hit the center rail (or hit the side rails for center-less tracks). Extra energy goes to increase your car's speed.
- Drill a raised wheel hole. It takes less energy to turn 3 wheels. Extra energy goes to speed.
- Drill 2.5 degree angled axle holes to cant your wheels. Canted wheels migrate toward the axle head where there is less friction. Less friction means more speed.
- Create an extended wheelbase. Your car has more stability, which means more speed.
If you are going to buy one PRO Tool, this is the one.
The PRO Driller™ Tool
U.S. Patent No. 9,095,912
Drill precision straight axle holes
Drill raised wheel axle hole
Drill 2.5 degree axle holes to cant your wheels
- Patented View Port allows you to see through the driller. Quickly and easily position it over the existing pre-cut axle slots so you can drill the axle slot straight. Axles can be pushed in with your finger and they will be straight.
- The PRO Driller is adjustable so there is no need to shim or sand your block to make it fit. It will fit ANY pinewood derby block; BSA Cub Scout, Awana, Pine-Car, Royal Rangers, etc.
- It's blue!
How to Use the Pro Driller™ Tool
- Loosen the two screws to open the PRO Driller™, then put it over your car.
- Position the PRO Driller™ by sliding it where you want to drill. Use our exclusive View Port if you want to drill the axle slot so your axles are perfectly straight.
- Squeeze the sides of the PRO Driller™ so it is snug to the block, then tighten the two screws.
- Use a clamp to secure the PRO Driller™ to your block so it doesn't move.
- Insert your drill bit into the hole you want and start your drill. Be sure to gently slide the drill bit in and out a few times to clear the wood chips and to make a clean hole.
- To make the axle hole deep enough, be sure the drill bit extends 1.5"
- Carefully insert your drill be and be sure it is straight so you don't torque the drill bit and snap it off!
Drilling straight axle holes into axle slots
- Slide the PRO Driller™ over the axle slot and position it by looking through the View Ports.
- Slide a drill bit into the top hole of the PRO Driller™ so you can see the drill bit slide into the axle slot.
- While holding the PRO Driller™ tight against the block, tighten the two screws to lock it in place.
- Clamp the PRO Driller™ tool so it doesn't move.
- Gently insert your drill bit into the top guide hole and drill to create an accurate straight axle hole in the axle slot.
Drilling a Raised Wheel
Drilling a raised wheel for your pinewood derby car is easy.
Just align and secure the PRO Driller™ Tool as described above. Then drill into the bottom, center guide hole.
Your raised pinewood derby wheel will be 3.5mm off the track. Raising a wheel reduces makes your car start faster and roll faster because it takes less energy to turn 3 wheels than 4. That energy goes to your car's speed.
|Category||PRO Speed Product||Speed Notes|
|Pinewood PRO Graphite is a special blend of dry powdered graphite with sub-micron molybdenum disulfide additive. It substantially decreases friction!
Track tests show a 17% to 20% speed increase, depending on the axles being used.
PRO Super Speed,
We recommend our PRO Super Speed grooved and graphite-coated axles, which out performed every axle we tested.
Our track tests showed a 16.7% speed increase over stock BSA axles.
We also offer BSA grooved and graphite-coated axles.
PRO BSA Ultra-Lite,
We recommend our PRO BSA Ultra-Lite graphite-coated wheels, which out performed every BSA wheel we tested.
Our track tests showed a 23.8% speed increase over stock BSA wheels.
We also offer lightly lathed BSA wheels.
PRO tools do everything from drilling axle holes so your car rolls straight, to polishing the inside of your wheel bore for that little extra speed, to rail rider tools for a technical advantage.
We even have handy tools for gapping your wheels and an Axle Puller to remove your axles without damaging your wheels.
|Blocks||Drilled blocks insure that your car rolls straight and also offers a raised wheel option to increase speed.|
If you can not build your own car, our fully built PRO pinewood derby cars are fully built and tested for speed!
These cars are precision tuned, track tested and ready to race.
Tips & Hints
Lighter wheels turn easier (they require less inertia). Lighten your wheels, as much as your Rules allow, which will give you a fast start out of the gate and faster speed down the track.
When lubing your wheels and axles, shoot graphite powder into the wheel bore, spin your wheels, and repeat. Do this over newspaper in your garage or outside the house.
A warped block is ok, as long as your axles are square to the block. Use the PRO Driller Tool to drill perfectly straight axle holes which insures your car will roll straight.
- Helping Pinewood Derby Racers
...for over 15 years.
Armed with tips from your Winning Pine Wood Derby Secrets, and graphite powder, Sean's car raced ahead of the wolf pack! Thanks again for you excellent website, materials, and products!
- Mark & Sean
Everything was great! It was my son's first Kubcar race...approx 60 cars, and he took 1st place! He was so excited... Thanks again. Your Winning Pinewood Derby Secrets book really helped!
- Glenn from Toronto
Thank you very much! I've always had very good luck with your products and I will continue to purchase everything I need from you!
- Jenna from AL
- FREE Derby Help
- Designing Your Car
- Building Your Car
- Making Your Car Fast
- Finishing Touches
- LEGO Derby Car Racing
- Race Track
- Pinewood Pro...
Just wanted to say THANK YOU! I received my items. I have used you guys for 3 or 4 years now, ALWAYS fast, great products, I am very happy with you guys. AND we have won AT LEAST our den every year! Cheers!
- Paul from MO
This is year #3 with you and we just keep winning!!! We did the Red thunderbolt and the Black Lightning cars. Thanks for the great products!
- Phil from CA
As soon as he got home, he ran up stairs to his room to put his trophy of his shelf. I will defiantly be buying from you. Thanks for the Winning Secrets!
- Phil from NV