Pinewood Derby Rules
by Joe Gargiulo, Pinewood Pro
- The overall length of the car shall not exceed 7 inches.
- The overall width of the car shall not exceed 2 ¾ inches.
- The car must have 1 ¾” clearance between the wheels.
- The car must have 3/8” clearance underneath the body so it does not rub on the track.
- The car shall not exceed 5.0 ounces.
- The official race scale that is used at car check-in shall be considered final.
- The official pine wood block must be used. The block may be shaped in any way that is desired.
- Official BSA wheels must be used. The wheels may not be cut, drilled, beveled or rounded. You may remove the seams and imperfections from the wheels.
- The axles may be altered, polished and lubricated.
- Once a car passes inspection and is entered into the race, only race committee members can touch it.
- If the car loses a wheel, or is otherwise damaged, the racer shall have 5 minutes to make repairs.
- Each car must pass inspection by the official inspection committee before it will be allowed to compete.
- The Inspection Committee has the responsibility to disqualify those cars that do not meet these rules.
Below are the official pinewood derby rules I used for our BSA Cub Scout Pack pinewood derby race. Feel free to use these rules for your Cub Scout pinewood derby or Awana Grand Prix race.
Note that all Pinewood Derby rules are set at the local race level. There are no Official Pinewood Derby Rules that are used nationwide. For our Pack we used a simple, clear set of rules. Other Packs may have elaborate rules. Be sure to read and abide by the rules for your local race.
For our Cub Scout Pack races, we inspected each car at weigh-in on race day.
We weighed each car with the "official scale" and turned back any car that exceeded 5.0 oz. We then did a quick visual inspection of each car against the following inspection points:
Car Dimension Rules
Derby Car Weight Rules
Car Modifications Not Allowed
Other Pinewood Derby Race Rules
If you have a question about rules, be sure to ask the person running your race because they have the final say about what is and isn't legal for that race.
FAQ: Are your parts legal in my race?
Are Pinewood Pro parts allowed?
Are your parts BSA Cub Scouts approved?Understandably, I get these questions all the time.
While I can give you a general answer, there are two reasons that I can't give a definitive answer.
1. Every race has their own set of rules.
2. Every race inspector may interpret those rules differently.
For example, pinewood derby races are run by Cub Scouts, Girl Scouts, Brownies, Kub Kar Rally, YMCA, Awana, charities, adult groups, etc. They all have different pinewood derby rules!
Within those groups, someone will be assigned to "check in" each car to weigh and inspect the car. When I managed races for our Cub Scout Pack, we just weighed cars and made sure the car didn't exceed the size requirements and that there were no holes cut in the wheels or any gross violations like that. Occasionally, a car needed minor adjustments but I never rejected a car.
On the other hand, I have heard of race inspectors that check cars with micrometer gauges down to the hundreth of an inch, or they use special rulers, sizing boxes, etc. You get the idea...all different, so verify rules with your race manager.
Having said that, here are two general guidelines -
1. If something is not specifically stated in the rules, it is ok.
2. When in doubt, ask your race manager!
Are Pinewood Pro Wheels and Axles Legal?
For all the reasons stated above, only you and your race manager can answer that question.
However, the following notes should help you:
- If a part states, "BSA" in the title, it is an Official Boy Scouts of America part from the BSA car kit. BSA Polished Axles, for example, are from the Official BSA Cub Scout Grand Prix Pinewood Derby kit. BSA Speed Wheels are also directly from the BSA Cub Scout kit.
- All of my BSA wheels have all of the BSA markings inside and outside of the wheel, including the beads along the wheel tread. These markings are usually what is required to meet BSA pinewood derby race rules.
- Graphite-coatings on axles and wheels are legal as long as your race rules allow graphite or dry lubricants.
- All of our pre-cut derby blocks, car kits and pre-made pinewood derby cars conform to official BSA and Awana car dimensions.
- Our Awana Wheels were purchased directly from Awana International, and all of the Awana markings remain on the wheel.
I hope this helps answer some questions about pinewood derby rules...
Follow the rules and may your derby car win!
Running a LEGO Derby Car Race?LEGO Derby Rules for your LEGO Derby car race. They are similar, but not the same as pinewood derby rules.
Share with Friends!
Tips & Hints
If you are using 3/8" round weights, drill your 3/8" weight holes before cutting out the rest of the car because it is easier to hold the full block. Always use a clamp to hold your block before drilling or cutting. Safety First!
Lighter wheels turn easier (they require less inertia). Lighten your wheels, as much as your Rules allow, which will give you a fast start out of the gate and faster speed down the track.
When lubing your wheels and axles, shoot graphite powder into the wheel bore, spin your wheels, and repeat. Do this over newspaper in your garage or outside the house.
- Helping Pinewood Derby Racers
...for over 15 years.
This is our last year of Pinewood Derby. We have shopped with you all 5 years and our son won his Pack 2x, Districts 1x and placed 2nd the other times. Thank you!
- Lloyd from NH
You guys are amazing. Thank you for such prompt attention. We will deal with you from now on. I have at least 9 more years of pinewood cars to make, and it's your products that will help us through them. Thank you soooo much!
- Lisa from CA
- FREE Derby Help
- Designing Your Car
- Building Your Car
- Making Your Car Fast
- Finishing Touches
- LEGO Derby Car Racing
- Race Track
- Pinewood Pro...
I ordered a set of your BSA wheels and axels last minute on Wednesday for overnight delivery. Our race was on Friday. We finished in 6th out of 80 cars, and will be going to the Divisional Race! My son was never happier! Thanks again!
- Steve from KY
Thank you for the great service. I will be coming back to purchase fo my grandson's pinewood derby. Thanks again, it's been great doing business with Pinewood Pro. Blessings to you and your staff.
- Jim from IL